Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What to do with all those samples?

First, take time to smell the roses . . .

Ok, so they aren't roses - those aren't blooming yet. But the magnolia that just four years ago was nothing but a branch I snipped off the piano teacher's tree is blooming. I'm not sure if it bloomed last year or not, but this year it has more than a dozen buds. It's gorgeous and was worth rooting.

The camellias are also blooming. This is the one on the side of the house - by the patio.


This is what I decided to do with all the fiber samples from the Phat Fiber box. First I spun them all up. Then I spun up some of the wensleydale roving I bought at SAFF. Ply the two together to make yarn. The pink on the bottom and top is the lovely roving that came with my wheel that I also used for practice.
I knit all the yarn into a huge 'bucket' for later felting. I was a little worried about how it would turn out since I didn't have a clue what kind of wool the pink was and I did know that all those samples were different types of fiber - everything from different types of wool to silk to alpaca and who knows what else. It's anybody's guess as to how evenly all those different fibers would felt.


Yes, that IS a large 5 gallon paint type bucket that the knit 'bucket' is draped over. And yes, it is too big for the plastic bucket. This thing is huge!



So, what happened when it went into the washing machine? Did it felt evenly? Or was it a huge mistake and waste of time?
Tune in Tomorrow for the answers to all your questions . . . .

No comments: