Pages

Friday, April 8, 2016

Beach Scenes

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Little Bear

I have been so very slack about posting on this blog.  It isn't that I am not knitting, just that a lot of the knitting cannot be shared publicly yet . . . that's how it goes when you knit samples.

This is some knitting I did - may have already showed the bear but this is her dressed and finished.  She has gone to live in a crib that is waiting for the arrival of a baby.  She won't be lonely too much longer.

The Mom-to-be wanted this to be unmistakably girly, so I added the bow headband.  I wasn't thrilled with it so I made the extra two little bows so Mom could sew one on to the head if she wanted and the second so she could sew them on the dress if she didn't want them on the head.  She liked the bow headband so who knows what she will do with the extra bows.

Teresa

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Another one




Another Anna Zilboorg pattern nearly ready to be published.  This is her Firs and Flakes faroese shaped shawl that was originally published in 1999.  The pattern has been rewritten and will hopefully be available through Ravelry by the end of March!  
Isn't it lovely?  I really enjoyed knitting it.

Teresa

Sunday, February 21, 2016

And She's Done!!!

 After a few coats of polyurethane and lots of sanding (have I mentioned I hate sanding?), the ukulele is ready to be assembled.  The kit maker put the neck pieces together before the kit was sent, but the fretboard, bridge and tuning keys need to be added.

Tuning keys first.  It's a pretty simple process.  You put the tuner post through the hole and then screw teeny tiny little screws through the plate into the wood of the head.  They are small - really small screws.  There are two for each tuner.

All done and I didn't lose any screws.  I probably should have used a smaller screw driver, but I didn't have one.  

Next the bridge.  The kit maker (Wolfelele.com) predrilled the front of the sound box to make it easier both to figure out where and to get the screws in.  

 I still worried about breaking the thin wood that is the front, but I didn't.  

And the final piece to be added was the fretboard.  Again, the neck was predrilled so placement and screwing were easy.

The front of the sound box was not predrilled for the screw that went into it, presumably because if you attach the neck to the front even a little off center, the hole would be wrong.  This really worried me because I was sure that I would break the wood.  I didn't.

 Last thing before playing was to string it.  This was the first time I had ever put strings on an instrument but both daughters have done it many times on many instruments.  
It wasn't hard.  I did manage to wind the ends around the pegs backwards even though my younger daughter told me to "be sure they tighten this way".  Didn't matter and it is fixed now.

 The finished ukulele.
I think it is lovely.

 Next to a standard banjo for size comparison.  Baritone ukuleles are much bigger than the tiny sopranos.  A soprano is about 20" from top to bottom and this is almost 30".

Here she is with all the other stringed instruments I own.
Well, I guess the piano is sort of a stringed instrument, but it opted out of the photo.
(This is not all the stringed instruments in the house as #2 daughter still lives here and she has several.)
Now I just have to learn to play them all!


Teresa

P.S.  Some of you may remember way back in October and November of 2010 when Girl Far From Home built her dulcimer.  (If you are interested, look here.  There is a video of her playing it here.)  She hadn't been playing it because she thought it was fretted incorrectly.  Well, since she was there while I was making my Ukulele, I took her and her dulcimer to a friend who works on guitars and he fixed it for her (just lowered the head).  So now we can both play our home made instruments together!


Saturday, February 20, 2016

Several Days

The next several days were devoted to coats of polyurethane, sanding and more coats of polyurethane. The pictures all look kind of the same. Thanks Karen, I love the resources, especially Dr. Uke.

Friday, February 19, 2016

Day 4

Finally starting to put it together! Really excited about this. I hope I can learn to play well enough to play with other people! (Karen, maybe your husband has some resources I should know about?)

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Day 3

Another coat of the first stain and a bit of darker stain around the edges. I am in a hurry to finish so I can learn to play it! (No idea how to play at all.)

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Next day

First coat of stain - a lot more to do, but it is a start.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Birthday Present

Dear Hubby got me a kit to build my own ukulele - a Wolfelele from wolfelele.com. It is exactly what I wanted and he knew because I told him so!

Monday, January 18, 2016

And there was a Wedding . . .

The bride was beautiful . . .

. . . really, really beautiful.

Grampa was there with her and she wore the birthstone necklace her mom got the day she was born.

The girl was more beautiful in the dress.  The earrings were her something old from the Russian side of her family.

Her aunt officiated.  Her best girlfriend was the maid of honor, his best bud was the best man.

He helped her down the stairs afterward.

Then there were photos - her and her groom.

The bride and maid of honor.

The groom and best man.

The officiant, bride and groom.

There was cake . . .

. . . traditional dance with dad . . .

and a fancy car for the exit.

All in all, a wonderful and happy day!

Teresa