Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Knitting (and Ripping) Monday

I know we have missed more than a few Knitting Mondays, but I have missed several other things too.  This week, we will not only have Knitting Monday, we are going to have Tatting Tea Tuesday.  And I'm going to brew myself a whole pot of lovely tea.  There is a tea vendor on Etsy that I've always wanted to try . . . I might just order myself some for my birthday.


 A couple of weeks ago I showed the start of a shawlette I was making.  Mom bought the yarn and it's absolutely glorious.  I can't remember the name of the yarn (and I looked at it again today, meaning to remember it) but maybe Dena will look at her label and tell us what the name is.   It is gorgeous yarn - the colors are subtle but all my favorites are there and it has just the right amount of glitz in it.

I decided that I did not want fringe on the edge - I'm not a fringy kinda girl.  A plain bind off didn't look right and wanted to curl a bit.  So I knit a lace edge bind off but I didn't like it either.  I finally settled on a picot bind off and it was perfect.

The only problem is the shape of the shawl.  I don't like it at all.  I knit about three times as many of the lacey rows as I was supposed to knit in order to make the wings wide enough to go around my shoulders but the point is far too deep and the wings are still barely wide enough.

So, as much as it pains me to say this, there is nothing left to do but rip the whole thing out and start over.  I'm not in love with the finished product but I do love the yarn so I don't want to give it away.  I figure if I rip it and add two increases on the wrong side rows, it will be shaped the way I like shawlettes to be shaped and I'll be so much happier with the end result.  Maybe I'll rip it tomorrow, but more likely after I finish a few other things I have going.



Remember the blue Mr. Greenjeans?  I finished it about 3 months ago and still haven't worn it.  There is just something so not right about it.  I know exactly what it is too.  The top fits but the bottom will never go around a person that the top fits.  If I find someone that the bottom will go around, the top is baggy and too big.  It isn't a problem with the knitting or even with the number of stitches.  It's the way the sweater was designed.  The pattern calls for a smaller needle on the cabled ribbing - I knew that it would be too tight with that, so I used the same needle as for the stockinette.  The cables in the ribbing just pull it in too much and so the bottom of the sweater is a completely different size from the top.

So, as much as it pains me to say it, there is nothing left to do but rip the ribbing out and redesign the bottom. I figure I can just continue the stockinette down to about the last 2 inches and then do a normal ribbing that won't pull in nearly as much.  Then the sweater will fit me and I can add buttons and use it.  This one has been in hibernation for a few months and it won't hurt it to wait a bit longer for a fix.

 This is the Fiesta Yarns La Luz Multi silk that I bought at White House Yarns when I was out visiting in Idaho the first time.  After more than a year of wondering what to do with it, I have finally figured it out!  I'm going to knit Annis from Knitty.com.  I love this yarn.  I love that it's silk and soft and I love the colors.


And here is the start of my Cable Crossover Sweater.  This yarn is lovely to knit (Aslan Trends Royal Alpaca).  It's so soft and silky and just wonderful in my hands.  It also knits up beautifully - it's fuzzy enough to be extra soft but not so fuzzy you lose stitch definition.  The gray piece is up to where I start knitting the 4 separate parts and the black is almost there.

And here are pics of my friends, just because I like to post their pictures.  Front friend is all bathed and brushed and pretty - well, except for the wet beard . . . guess she just had a slurp.

No comments: