Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tatting Shuttle Tuesday


Yes, I still plan to get some tatting done today but when this box arrived in the mail . . . well, I just had to open it right away.  These are my beautiful new shuttles.

The one on the left (one side in each picture) is ripple shell veneer over wood.  It's much prettier in person than these photos because it was very difficult to photograph.  The center shuttle is paua shell veneer over wood.  The one on the far right is paua shell - not veneer, the blades are paua through and through.  It feels like glass.  All three are absolutely gorgeous in person.  The center one is large - 2 3/4" long and will hold a lot of thread.  These are going to be fun to tat with - starting today!


These three are from the same maker - from left to right:  Zebra wood, Curly Bubinga and Macassar Ebony.  The grain on each of them is spectacular and I fell in love with them.  They are smooth and warm in my hands.  The zebra wood is the largest, again at 2 3/4".  I might share some of these with girls . . . maybe.

The maker calls this one a 'figure eight' flat shuttle and it is made out of dymondwood.  That Other Girl was looking over my shoulder when I was buying these and there was one she wanted.  It turns out that this wasn't the one she wanted, but after saying it once, she refused to tell me again so I guessed (wrong).  She says she likes it just as much anyway.

This is made out of Mahogany with an inlay stripe with two other woods.  I think it is beautiful and very well made.  

I love these new additions to my shuttle collection.  Now I have to go wind some thread on several of them and get tatting!

Teresa

7 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Ooh! Ah! Lovely shuttles! Must be time to tat!

Cindy said...

Oooooh, beautiful! I love admiring all the various shuttles out there. The mahogany one with inlay stripe is my favorite!

Gina said...

gorgeous! I have similar ones to all these - in my collection. My shell ones do not have veneer though and I'm afraid they will break so I'm content to look at them and touch them.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

I'm wondering who made these fabulous shuttles! I do prefer a bobbin and hook shuttle, but these are exceptional works of art!

Dena said...

I wish I had beautiful shuttles like those.

Are you going to share them with your wonderful, fantastic, loving sister??

Corina said...

Wow, fabulous shuttles! You can't stay off your tatting with such candy!

Bonnie said...

Great shuttles, will you use them? I tend to collect but not use them, sad.