Pages

Monday, September 29, 2008

Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair - SAFF











The Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair (SAFF) is a little more than 3 weeks away. I went last year with a friend but not for long. We drove up Saturday morning and drove all over the southeast on Sunday afternoon. This year I'm going with the same friend, but we're going to be there longer and we are going to take some classes. All the puppets and the bobcat and chipmunk in the last two pictures are needle felted from raw wool. My friend and I are taking a class to learn to make that chipmunk from the lady who made them. She does the most amazing things with the wool off her sheep.
We are also taking some other classes while there. We are both taking an indigo dyeing class together - guess I'll have to find another indigo plant cuz I killed mine years ago. And we are taking a heel workshop from Charlene Schurch of Sensational Knitted Socks and More Sensational Knitted Socks and Little Box of Socks fame. And even tho Mom and I took that spinning class at Spruell and learned to spin (when was that? about 18 years ago?) it's been years since I did anything with any of the wheels. So, I'm taking a beginning spinning class so I can get some practice and some tips.
You can see from the pics of the main floor that there are lots and lots of vendors there selling everything you could possibly want for any fiber arts. There is every possible type of yarn, a lot direct from the farmers. There is every possible type of equipment from swifts and ballwinders to looms and wheels and carders etc. There are fleeces (raw) and roving and angora and alpaca and any other type of fiber in any state you could want.
So if you guys want anything special, let me know!

No comments: