I had a friend once ask me if I only posted the successful projects on the blog and Ravelry. I had to answer yes because up to that point, I hadn't posted any failures. Honestly, I have had very few failures, but there are a few. There was a felted bag that I was making up as I went along. The knitting went beautifully and the finished item looked like it was going to be very cool. The felting didn't go well at all and I ended up with a big mess and a lot of wasted yarn.
This hat is another failure. It was meant to be a Fairy Snow Cap by Rosemary Hill.
As you can see, mine looks nothing like hers.
When I knit it, I was careful to get gauge and started knitting. I am blaming the problems with this hat squarely on the yarn. This is not nice yarn and it was not a good idea for this hat. I had just enough to make a hat and since this is alpaca yarn, I thought it would be nice and warm and soft. When the hat turned out so wrong, I decided to felt it lightly to make it wearable. It is wearable and it fits a head and it should be warm, but it isn't a Fairy Snowcap or anything even close. And it's ugly. Really ugly.
So this one is a failure like the other one knit from the same yarn. The yarn is cursed and the leftovers are getting chopped up for the birds. (Every spring I put scraps of yarn in those mesh veggie bags outside for the birds to take for nesting material.)