Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all moms, but especially to my Mom. 
Thanks for all you have done and continue to do for me,
my kids,
and all the rest of your family.
I love you very much.


Several people have asked - this is the Olivia Shawl  by Connie Chang Chinchio from the book Textured Stitches:  Knitted Sweaters & Accessories with Smart Details.  Mom gave me the book as a present.  It has some lovely sweaters that I plan to knit in it as well.  This particular shawl was knit using Cascade Venezia Worsted which is a silk/wool blend and the darker yarn is Fiesta Insignia La Boheme - a two strand mohair/rayon yarn.  Mom picked the yarns so I can't take credit for how pretty they are either.


Michelle said...

Gorgeous! Love those baubles, wish I could do them like that!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Incredible shawl; Beautiful!

Bree at "Bree's Way" said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Beautiful shawl or cape. Is this a new one that we haven't seen before? I'm curious how long this took to make, and where you got the pattern. Happy Mother's Day!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Thanks for the info about the shawl. I admit, though, that your colors and the contrasting stripe really make this shawl exceptional, and it looks more attractive than the photo on ravelry!

Although I very much admire lacy shawls and the work that goes into them , this one seems very practical for keeping one warm!

I'm still wondering how long it took to knit! You seem to whip these projects up overnight!

Teresa said...

Kathy -
I was going to email you but there isn't an email connected with your profile.

I started this shawl on Sunday evening, April 29th. The knitting was finished on the 6th and I blocked it on the 7th and took pics on the 8th. So about 10 days all told. It's not a difficult thing to knit at all.

The mods I made are really simple. 7 rows before I was supposed to switch from stockinette to reverse stockinette, I switched to the mohair yarn and did k2tog, yo across the front side rows and just purled the backside rows. At the end, I switched back to the lighter colored yarn and knit one row before I started the reverse stockinette (the knit row looked better with the color change.)

I also changed the ruffle at the bottom. The pattern called for adding 200 stitches on every other row, ending up with something like 1200 stitches. I knew I didn't have enough yarn, so I did the first increase from about 400 to 600 stitches and then knit the entire ruffle with that. I don't think I would have liked the look of it if I had done it according to the pattern anyway.