Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend




This is the Aqua Diamonds pattern by Merike Saarniit which was published in the Spring 2012 Knitter's Magazine.  It was super quick and easy to knit.  I did my gauge swatch on Thursday night and even though I took time out to knit the edging on the Estonian Lace (and wash, block, dry and photograph it) I still finished this Monday evening. 

It looks great on Girl Far From Home and she loves it!

The only real issue is the yarn.  I found some Araucania Ulmo at the yarn shop and it was heavy worsted weight and in a color that Girl liked.  I bought three hanks - same dye lot.  First they were a nightmare to wind into balls - totally tangled and a mess because they were too loose in the hank and not tied off enough.  Then after knitting it, I discovered that the first one was much pinker than the others - in some of these photos you can see the line 2" above the diamonds where the color changes.

Girl and I over dyed this baby with red in the hopes that we can cover that line.  It's in the dryer now, so pics will have to wait.

Teresa


4 comments:

Bree at "Bree's Way" said...

I really love this piece! I would so wear this!

Jane McLellan said...

I like that. What a shame the yarn didn't live up to its promise, glad you could overcome its drawbacks.

Bonnie said...

Very Pretty!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Actually, from the photos here, I never would have guessed it wasn't supposed to be that way (the top half having the more defined variegated shading), as if were knitted with two 'coordinating' yarns; but it is amazing that the same dye lot would be so different. Again your speed amazes me, and I do like the pattern.

It would be frustrating, though, to have to untangle the yarn just to wind it!