Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Hamamoto World Fruit Ranch


We had an incredible adventure yesterday at the Hamamoto World Fruit Ranch. They have a tour through the ranch which would have been exciting but they only go a few times a day.  We had just missed one so it was going to be several hours before the next one. Since they give tours they don't allow walking through the ranch.  Shame because I really wanted to see how some of the fruit, like annatto grows. Hopefully it will grow in Idaho in a high desert. 

They had soursop jam which I bought because I haven't had soursop since I was a little kid.  Boy did I love it then.  The fruit ranch hosts a fruit buffet with all the varieties that are ripe picked fresh that morning.  Soursop was on the list so I dragged dh along for a fruit tasting. Dh is not so adventurise as I am.  Even tho he lived in guam for three years he hadn't tried most of these fruits.  


We started the buffet by making ourselves a refreshing drink. We had a choice of lemon-lime fruit or kalamasi which is a small tart more tangeriney tasting fruit.  The photo of the bowl of fruit has the lemon-lime cut in quarters looking like an orange lemon and the small round kalamasi with just their tops cut off. Both are incredibly juicey.  Since both of these are very tart you add a sweet water to fill the glass. Yummy.  Note:  when we at out and dh asked for tea and sugar to add, they brought him a syrup container of sugar water.  Apparently that is the sweetener of choice instead of packets of sugar



We moved on to the fruit. What a fantastic spread, some I have had and many that we're new to me. 

After the mountain apple we had guava and sour sop.  Dh recognized guava but doesn't care for it and he tried the sour sop.  Fortunately for me it was all you can eat cause I love sour sop. Guava you have probably tried but sour sop is awesome.  The flesh is the consistency of soft banana, you don't eat the skin and, like watermelon, you eat around the seeds. A little sour but not lime sour, more tangy.  Behind each plate you can see the whole fruit. 

After the mountain apple we had guava and sour sop.  Dh recognized guava but doesn't care for it and he tried the sour sop.  Fortunately for me it was all you can eat cause I love sour sop. Guava you have probably tried but sour sop is awesome.  The flesh is the consistency of soft banana, you don't eat the skin and, like watermelon, you eat around the seeds. A little sour but not lime sour, more tangy.  Behind each plate you can see the whole fruit. 


After we finally left sour sop we came to chikle, which looks and tastes something like kiwi. The cantaloupe dh really enjoyed 


Next was something called orange sapote.  This has the texture of cooked sweet potatoes and has a mild fruity taste. I liked it enough to have several but can't describe the taste other than very pleasant. Then another one that dh loved-fresh pineapple


At the end and no photo was fresh green coconut and lots of fresh avocado with a sashimi of soy sauce and wasabi.  Yummy in my tummy

All in all gnome and I had a great time. The fact that the ranch is owned by a Japanese family and all the staff spoke Japanese didn't bother me. I loved the coconut husking and shaving demonstration and learned a lot.  Might have learned even more if I understood Japanese but never let language stand I the way

Off to more adventures
Dena
from Guam

1 comment:

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Looks like the weather eased up and your adventure has now begun!